Sunday, July 01, 2007

poses for animation



I drafted these in my spare time this week (which was hard due to distraction of the Ratatouille debut) I imported them into flash with the audio. I'll have to get a proper recording set up if I hope to test the full animation properly...





I fully admit that in the past I have been overly loyal to Pixar; if nothing had cured me of that previously it was Cars. But I can say without fear for my credibility that I have never been more satisfied with a movie then I was with Ratatouille. See it if you haven't! It was refreshing to have a moment between the climax and the end for the characters in the story to reflect; a rare moment of breath, especially for a CG animated film. For what was a rushed production, this was by far there most eloquent script.And for you Luddites, there is some traditional animation in the credits (Good old bird).

I had also seen Paprika the week before, which was also a great pick-me-up. There has always been a great deal of disdain for anime in my year. And while I will agree it would look better on twos (or heaven forbid ones) this economy allows them the freedom to be much more exploratory with their stories. I expected Paprika to be convoluted and overly high-minded (not a bad thing in itself, mind you), but it was actually quite easy to follow and the characters where quite endearing.




It was yesterday that I received my first malcontent for drawing them on a bus. In all fairness I'm surprised I never got a complaint before, I can see how it could set somebody off a bit. The rather uncouth looking fellow in the drawing at the bottom threatened me to stop, and accused me of being a "weirdo" and a "creep"; his saying this interrupted his harassment of the young lady also present in the drawing. I apologized and stopped, assuring him it was simply routine practice, and went on to drawing something unrelated to people on the bus. He seemed to stop talking to the young lady after that.

9 comments:

blauereiter said...

Love the Paprika + Ratatouille illustration. What a combination haha !

aintshakespeare said...

Ooh, I love these ladies with the wine glasses. Very nice. And the color illustration of the woman with the rat is cool. It's a shame about the guy getting all bent outta shape because you were drawing him. Ironically, if he had kept his mouth shut he would have come across as less of a creep... perhaps. Don't stop drawing the peeps, though. These sketches are too cool.

Goobeetsablog said...

they are both on my list.
I haven't heard a bad review yet!

nice drawings.
always a treat coming here.

especially the story of
girl and creep:)

macaronni said...

If you liked Paprika, you should definitely check out Satoshi Kon's previous works like Perfect Blue or Millennium Actress.

Paprika was great, but I personally liked the other two I just mentioned better.

keith wilson said...

Not only is the bus drawing nice, but it has a cool story, a chronicle of the day wil used drawing as a tool to fight injustice and harrassment!

elephantmarchblog said...

Thanks guys. Although I think Mr.Wilson might be overstating my courage in the matter. I worked out a very brave monologue for him a few hours afterward, but I question whether I would have been able to tell him off with any courage even if I had collected my thoughts that quickly.

SAL said...

I would suggest starting your animation with the guy in the praying pose. The beginning feels rushed to moi.

Robin Hall said...

A similar thing happened to me on the train a few weeks ago, I think I posted about it, but may not have. I was told I was being rude and disrespectful by this en Englsih forty-something suit, even though I wasn't drawing him, or in his direction. I told him that if it bothered him, he was welcome to move elsewhere, as there were other seats available where I wouldn't offend him. He then told me to "Go on, now, put away that book" and I looked at him appologetically but returned to drawing. He then called me a stupid bitch...

I was too shocked to focus and draw anything more, but continued to draw the rest of the way home, just to spite him.

Nice sketches, however :)

Mokuu said...

I would have uppercuted the guy or told him that its a scene from a comic that just happened to be similar. xd