Sunday, October 19, 2008

Now we wait....

Well, with any luck the application made it in on Wednesday, cause the deadlines in two days. Now I've just been making the odd new character design to add to my new sketchbook for the APE convention in San Fran at the start of November. My friend and superior Shelly Wan was generous enough to spare room at her and her friend Mindy's table for this rookie's booklets. Thanks Shelly and Mindy.


These sketches are based again on the Geisha story.

As much as I've been trying to move away from the structureless designs, I just couldn't see these guys working any other way. The villain's ninja assassins. These thugs probably wouldn't work in 3D I don't think, they'd have to cheat all the time to sort of "melt" into one big shape or black drifting cloud, with their eyes popping out. And before anyone bothers pointing it out, I realized their exactly the same in concept as the villain's cronies from UPA's only feature film "Gay Purr-ee", which I saw before designing these, and no doubt I subconsciously got the idea. Stone me if you wish.


And, yet again, a cheap bit of fanart; here's the original nightwatch from Pratchett's

4 comments:

Sean Covernton said...

HUGE fan of those ninjas.

elephantmarchblog said...

Thanks Sean, no doubt your GF's going to read me the riot act for yet again throwing structure out the window. Or at least she would if she wasn't so bloody nice. I just thought the loose, shifting silhouette style was appropriate.

Wynne Chen said...

great stuff, good luck for the disney
intern*~*

justdoodleit said...

skinny silhouette ninjas are very cool!