Tuesday, December 02, 2008

My 4:00 a.m. rant


Saw bolt Sun night. I must say I was impressed. I'd read good press, but I was suprised how many good lines were in the movie, and while it was a very conventional Disney story and look, it was done extremely well, I thought, which is a step above most of the non-Pixar animated stuff.

So, as much as would have liked to have seen what Chris Sanders would have done, I think John Lasseter deliverred in spades with his descisions, and I hope he does what the cynics say he won't and redeem Disney animation. Now that two of my Capilano friends are working there, I pulling for him all the more.

Another thing I wanted to say was in regard to the designs of the characters. A lot of people call them bland, but the key thing is, from an animators stand point; they work. An animator could turn them around, has a brow, jaw and eyes to act with, and if they have decent draftmanship and knowledge of animal anatomy, they can do pretty much anything with them. And also, when you sketch them out a few times from the CGI trailers, you see that they do in fact have strong contrasting shapes, straights against curves and all the elements of appeal in them. Really, there's nothing going into these designs that wouldn't go into Kung Fu Panda; It's just that Kung Fu Panda took it further. And as much as I loved Chris Sanders early concept art for the dog, it was basically Stitch with more "doggy" details on him. As cool as it is to see designs like Ren and Stimpy, the fact that their a cat and dog is inconsequential to the premise. With Bolt, at least in the final version, it's really about the politics between cats, dogs and humans; so the fact that Bolt moves like a dog and behaves like a dog was quite key, same goes for the cat. And as cool as Sander's dog was, Bolt is more unmistakably a dog. That was what I thought, anyway.

I just hope this movie does well, because I really think Disney becoming succesful in animation again will encourage animation everywhere. I hope anyway. Now lets hope Princess and the Frog turns out as well

4 comments:

L.E. said...

Hi!i can't wait to watch it!I think it'll be released this week but i'll provably enjoy the gags loads more in english..hope they don't blow the translation..anyway looks great!and nice ramble...

Samanta Erdini said...

You are AMAZING!

Your art of Bolt looks sooo Professional!!!


Sam

tinylittlesandra said...

I really enjoyed hearing your views on Bolt – I absolutely loved it! It was a long awaited arrival for me… so I was worried I’d be disappointed… Man, I just felt in love with that Dog! Its true, he’s animated like a dog, which is the wonderful thing about it! I love the subtleties in the ear movements… it was so nice.

From what I hear, Eric’s done some amazing work on Princess and the Frog…I have no doubt in his talent – I’ll pop back to see what you have to say about that :O)

Anyways, great job on your fan art here – its really very nice.

Matt said...

I really loved Bolt as well! In the days leading up to its release I had these "please let it be good" anxieties.

But it delivered on so many levels! There were so many small wonderful moments in it. When you have a solid story sprinkled with those little sparkles of awesome you get something really memorable. Now they just gotta get their marketing game on.

I'm expecting a lot from their upcoming features.