Monday, February 16, 2009

Coraline

Personally I think the whole 3D glasses shtick is going to disappear in a year or two; I certainly don't mind it, and I think it's cool when it's not overdone, but I really wouldn't miss it if it were gone. Now, that might not be the popular consensus of course.

This was my favorite scene from Coraline, or at least my favorite one that wouldn't spoil anything. I loved how Muppety the "other father's" face was. The movie was a tour de force in terms of design, but of course that was to be expected from Henry Selick. What did please me was that the eye candy didn't get in the way the plot. Though to be fair I read Neil Gaimen's novel and it was nice and simple too; which isn't always the case with his books I find. The theme's in which the fantasy is put towards is very singular and straight forward, so you have to time take in both the imagination and the characters. Plus I loved the posters of the two elderly actresses in their bugalow from their youth....

I'd be very suprised if UP manages to outdo Coraline, visually at least. Not that I don't love how stylized the old man is. I saw a sketch of this fat dog that'll be in it, and I'm curious to see how he'll fit into things....




2 comments:

dancing platypuss said...

totally agree w u w the 3d thing...

elephantmarchblog said...

Seems a lot of people think that way. Again, I don't want anyone to think I was knocking Coraline itself; the movie was awesome!